Sport Premium 2017 – 2018
The Government provided additional funding of £150 million per annum for the academic years 2013 to 2014 and 2014 to 2015 to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. The Conservative Government has pledged to continue this funding through to 2016 (2020 if they are re-elected). This funding – provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport – is allocated to primary school Headteachers. The money must be used to improve the provision of P.E. and school sport.
You can access the Government website at https://www.gov.uk/government/policies/getting-more-people-playing-sport/supporting-pages/school-pe-and-sport-funding
P.E. and school sport play a very important part in the life of Knowles Primary School. We believe that P.E. and school sport contribute to the development of our children and through participation, our children build and learn more about our key values such as respect, co-operation and kindness for themselves and others. We also believe it has a positive influence on the concentration, attitude and academic achievement of all our children. At Knowles we aim to make sustainable improvement which enables children to learn in the present and take what they have learnt through to their future.
We intend to to use the sports premium funding of £9,995 in 2017-18 school year to support the development of P.E. and school sport in the following ways:-
- Milton Keynes Schools Partnership Affiliation – With a higher level of support staff will be better prepared to teach high quality PE and children will therefore benefit from higher quality learning. Entry into competitions and festivals will support children with a clear passion for sport and representing the school.
- Replenishment of equipment – Replenishment of broken or old equipment will contribute to higher quality learning and greater opportunities in PE. Children will have access to a good amount of equipment to support all different learning areas.
- Lesson support from outside providers and WOW day opportunities – Opportunity to book external provider’s and experts in their field to support class teacher’s in the delivery of PE lessons and provide WOW experiences for children in different sporting areas. Children will gain the opportunity to learn from experts in their field. Teacher’s will be supported and learn from higher quality teaching and learning.
- ASA coaching swimming qualification – Provide opportunities to develop the teacher’s professional development and complete coaching qualifications in swimming in order to support with the teaching of swimming. Many of our younger children have never been to a pool before and lack the vital life-saving skill that swimming lessons will provide. By providing extra support we will be in a better position to monitor and support children in their swimming lessons.
- Replenishment and update of gymnastics and dance equipment – With newer equipment children will have full access to quality resources when learning.
- Health and Fitness support – The majority of our children lead an unhealthy, sedentary lifestyle. Continue with the promotion of health and fitness tasks will further support the provision of sport and an active lifestyle throughout the school. Boards to promote health & fitness.
- Transport costs – Additional budget for transport that isn’t covered under the partnership. Ability to visit more schools for friendly matches. Building school relationships. Children will have greater access to more events, giving more children the opportunity to take part in matches.
- Membership to the Youth Sport Trust – giving us access to a number of resources and CPD events to develop the staff subject knowledge as well as increase sport opportunities for the children of Knowles.